World of Speed
GRAND OPENING April 24, 2015, 11:00AM
Education and entertainment through the celebration and preservation of American motorsports.
Located in Wilsonville, Oregon, World of Speed will be a new kind of educational experiential motorsports exposition using historic racecars and motorcycles to tell the story of America's love affair with the automobile and leadership role in world motorsports. It will encompass many aspects of motorsports including drag racing and road racing, land speed racing, motorcycle racing, as well as open wheel and NASCAR.
Where possible it will tell the story of local tracks including Jantzen Beach and Portland International Raceway and local racers such as the legendary Indianapolis racecar builder Rolla Vollstedt.
Through interactive exhibits and hands-on activities, World of Speed will offer visitors a behind-the-scenes view of the world of racing. Programming and activities will expose young people to the opportunities available in the auto industry, and to help educate them to enter the workforce or advance to specialized education. For example, Ford Motor Company recently donated a Mustang to World of Speed that will be reconfigured into a hands-on display to showcase how a car is constructed, what materials are used and how materials are recycled. A real Indy car will function as a simulator for fans of all ages, while a car formerly raced by Danica Patrick should appeal to female visitors.
World of Speed offers a unique event facility just south of Portland, Oregon, with easy access to I-5 that can accommodate groups of all sizes in a number of different venues: There is free parking for approximately 350 vehicles.
Event spaces include the following, however, the museum can be rented as a whole:
- - East Gallery banquet and meeting space: 12,000+ sq. ft. 800+ maximum capacity
- - Atomic Lounge: 2,450 sq. ft. 120 maximum capacity
- - Herm Petersen Boardroom: 1,118 sq. ft. 50 capacity
- - Classroom 1: 900 sq. ft. 30-50 capacity
- - Classroom 2: 899 sq. ft. 30-50 capacity
- - Start Line Club (for children under 10): 1,430 sq. ft. up to 25 capacity
- - Photo cove (cyclorama): 60' wide x 27' high x 15' deep
- - South Side Parking Lot: Approximately two paved acres for outdoor events
World of Speed